Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Show not Tell

Progress on goals: even though I have a major presentation tomorrow, I have worked the story on two out of three days.

Emphasis: I am trying not to go back and edit -- in fact, I've told myself I can't count the time if it's just editing. BUT I have realized that pieces of the story are more "tell" than "show." So that has been an emphasis for the last week both in new writing and in editing. Sorry I've forgotten the person whose blog mentioned tell/show, so I can't give proper credit. I know it's Writing 101, but for work I write factual, technical, non-emotional notes and reports. Visualize the new Julie: at home, reaching into her brain and switching the output port from "F" (factual) to "C" (creative)!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's good to make a note to correct an error in a WIP ASAP after you realize it needs correction. Not editing per se, but saving the notation for later, for when you edit. Especially if you are forgetful, as I am.

    Good luck with your creative output. :)

    ReplyDelete